fot

RE: [FOT] F1 tomorrow??

To: "'Doug Mitchell'" <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] F1 tomorrow??
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:57:09 -0700
The plural is indeed Grands Prix. The source of the term is the Grand Prix
de Paris, which was a horse race held in the late 1800s. It's probably not
the usual French weirdness that makes Grands Prix the suitable
pluralization, but the inelegance of pluralizing any word that ends with X
by adding an S or ES. You sound like you've got a bilateral lisp. But French
grammar is so arcane that even serious french scholars don't really
understand it all. That's why diplomats love french--you can be subtly
insulting in french and no one will know.

As far as the commentary goes, anyone as over-exposed as those two were
would sooner or later become irritating and finally stupid. Not well done.
If it hadn't been for the lovely engine noise I would have turned the sound
off.