fot

[FOT] blow-ups

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] blow-ups
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:03:35 -0600
I spent an interesting hour tracing out the path in the filter head,
figured out the answer to the question, and got several replies that
were either right on or close to it. Plus a couple of guys who
figured it out previously and have found fixes.

What I found was that the adjustable valve, when opened by the oil
pressure, dumps oil back into the sump, as we know. It also has a
spring that is quite stiff.

The non-adjustable valve is fed by the same oil that the adjustable
one is fed, but when opened it sends oil to the gallery. It has
spring that is quite weak.

My conclusion is that the non-adjustable valve opens first, sending
oil to the gallery. In fact, judging from how really weak its spring
is, it is probably always open. This means that our oil filtering
system is not a full flow system that makes all the oil flow through
the filter, but rather it is a bypass system, which always allows oil
to bypass the filter and go to the gallery.

Kudos to Greg Solow, Ken Gillanders, and Walt Emery who had this
whole schmeer figured out and have found ways to decrease or
eliminate the bypass feature. I'm going to do that too.

Have any of the three of you seen any downside to simply replacing
that bypass valve with a plug?

uncle jack