fot

Re: [Fot] SLOT CAR RACING SYSTEM

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SLOT CAR RACING SYSTEM
From: "riverside" <riverside@cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:51:07 -0600
Bob,

    I came to work this morning and found this great
FOT thread.  Even Kas was enough of a slot head to
creatively tilt the odds his way!
    I do sell several brands of slot car sets and all the
accessories.  I see that several guys endorsed the
Scalex brand and most of my sales are Scalex.
Because of its size, Scalex lets you pack the most track
into the least space.  It is priced pretty well, especially
after my 22% discount off list.  All brands of ready to run
cars work well on Scalex.  I also sell Ninco, which is a
good track but the contact rail stands proud of the surface
alot more than Scalex or the others and this results in too
much downforce when racing magnet cars and ground
clearance troubles for a few cars.  Ninco is not good
for racing scratch built cars (I can only imagine the
technology that went into Kas's cars!!).
Carerra is very good quality, but is really for 24th scale
cars or people who do not think slot car racing should
be a contact sport.  Its added size limits what you can
do in a small space.  There are many companies making
cars and there is a very nice selection out there from
the latest F1 cars to cars that we love to see 1:1 scale
at the Vintage races.
The digital tracks offer the ability to race alot of cars on
not much track, but I would not recommend it for your
first set.  You can easily upgrade later as one of my customers just did.
The initial cost is higher, the selection of cars
is thinner(tho you can upgrade a car to digital ready
if you are using Scalex's system) and I am not convinced
it is really any more fun than the old fashioned way.
I got into the slot car racing business because the local
hobby shops treated the hobby like a bastard at the
family reunion.  Parts and decent support was not
available.  We support the members of two local clubs.
One races the new ready to run cars only, and the other
races scratchbuilts.  They share 4 tracks, one of which
is a custom routed board track.  I can e-mail you copies
of the rules if you are interested .
In addition to offering a discount off list,  I can  also assist with
design.  If you send the dimensions of your table, and
some ideas of what type of track you want to built(slow
or fast corners,  long or short straights, etc.)  we can together
get some ideas of  what it will take to get you racing.

Art De Armond

319-857-4815 days
319-626-6374  eves