fot

Re: [Fot] Cool shirt

To: "marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cool shirt
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:36:57 -0600
I use a FAST cool shirt when the temps are in the 90's. It does a
great job. It cools so well that I have a switch on the dashboard so
I can turn it on and off, because otherwise it gets too cold.

It's a minor challenge to get the ice chest mounted safely and
conveniently. I race a TR4. I've tried a couple of locations and
ended up with the chest sitting on the shelf behind the passenger's
seat. You really have to mount it metal to metal or otherwise it
turns over and dumps all the ice cubes in your crotch (guess how I
know). I also had to learn how much ice (lots) and how much water
(less) to put into the chest so it would last through a half hour race.

The hoses on the shirt come out on the left side. I just made a small
incision in a seam on the left side and poke the tubes through that
hole. I route the hoses from the ice chest around behind the seat and
hook up on the left side. As with all these things, the devil is in
the details. I am quite happy with my installation, after several
tries, and I'm happy with the performance of the system.

At 05:20 PM 1/21/2007, marshall wrote:
>This is probably really obvious to everyone but me, but I'll ask anyhow.
>I'm thinking about buying a "cool shirt" with the rubber hoses and ice
>chest for racing in the heat.   From looking at the ads, the hose
>connections are at the bottom of the shirt.  Somehow this needs to
>connect to the hoses from the ice chest.  Does anyone use one of these
>and how do you route the hoses?  Assuming you have a one piece drivers
>suit, there are only 6 possible openings that I can think of, and none
>of them would seem to make much sense.  Don

uncle jack

Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net