fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph Values

To: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph Values
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:08:28 -1000
Actually, there's very little question that TR3's are valuable cars.
They are now relatively rare and the people who are nostalgic for
them are still on the right side of the dirt--a lot of them have
money. What are they going to do with it? Buy real estate in San
Diego?. Enjoy the thrill of looking at their stock portfolio? There's
an awful lot of 60 year old people for whom paying thrity grand for a
TR3 would hardly even sting, and they'd feel like they were nineteen
again every time they sat in it.

frankly, I'm surprised they aren't worth more.

The run up in muscle cars reflects exactly the same thing. People
with money who don't have a lot of other places to put it that will
give them any pleasure. there's just a lot more people nostalgic for
american muscle cars than they are for LBCs.

It's not really Barret-Jackson that's responsible, it's information
and how rapidly it can be dispersed today. the difference between
eBay and a garage sale. we get top dollar for triumph bits online
because our garage sale extends across the world. I paid $85 for a
proof copy of Master and Commander, and was tickled pink to get it.
At a garage sale it would have gone for $.25.