fot

Re: [Fot] Rod Bearing issue

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rod Bearing issue
From: "Marx Christian tr4-racing" <chris@tr4-racing.de>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:30:13 +0200
Maybe too much advance?
Or the rod's big end is out of round?

Cheers
Chris

This may be one of those questions like "what's up with women" but I am
regrinding a crank on a street TR 3 engine that wore out big end bearing #1
while all the others and the mains look like new. Its clearly not a bent rod,
been there on a Ford. Can't figure out why just the one journal would wear?
Anything I should check before putting in the reground crank?

  The car has always had an oil pressure issue 70psi cold, 20 psi hot, 15
really hot. It was this way through two engines from bran new to... Thought it
was the gauge but never really investigated. Ran 30 wt GTX ->  40 wt when they
start to smoke. Last decade or so I have been running 20 50 GTX. Followed the
oil emails all winter but I can't imaging that the additives would affect oil
pressure.

  Finally, having problems finding tri-metal bearings at 30 over, are they
that important in a street engine?

  Thoughts???