fot

Re: [Fot] How much tyre/wheel clearance on the rear tube shock

To: JOSEPH HUGHES <tr5racer@btinternet.com>, Friends of Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] How much tyre/wheel clearance on the rear tube shock
From: Jim Prettyleaf <jprettyleaf@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:17:15 -0800 (PST)
  I have 1.6" clearance between the sidewall of 225/45-15 Hoosier autocross
tires and the mounting bracket for the Koni shocks at the rear suspension.  The
225/45-15 tires are mounted on 8.5" wide Carroll Shelby rims with a 4 bolt by
4.5" bolt circle.  The rims and autocross tires are on the car at the moment,
so I will not be able to measure the back-set until I rotate the tires just
before the next autocross.  If I remember correctly the back set on the 8.5"
wide rims is 3 and 11/16 inches, which is the same as the 7.0" wide Carroll
Shelby rims that carry my 205/50-15 street tires.

  Jim Prettyleaf

HUGHES <tr5racer@btinternet.com> wrote:
  Not a lot. Depends on the offset of the wheel and the width and profile of
the 225 tyre you are intending using. I have had problems on my racing TR5
which has this set up using 205 x 60 tyres let alone 225's and finished up
using a spacer to space out the wheel sufficently to clear the shocker and
bracket.
What size wheels are you intending using as the ideal wheel size for a 205 x 60
tyre is 7 inch. Do you need to go wider than that?

Mike Hughes

You are subscribed as jprettyleaf@yahoo.com