fot

Re: [Fot] Our weekend at the Glen

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Our weekend at the Glen
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:36:41 -0500
--===============0316043231==

--------------020300070103090803030905

We spent Monday in NYC, so just got back to Tulsa last night.

We had a wonderful weekend.  I had originally planned to fly in and hang
out, but at the last minute Tom was available to drive, so we brought
our car (#16 yellow TR3).  We arrived about 6:00 pm Thursday only to
find out we couldn't get into the track due to closed registration.  Bob
Lang was in a similar predicament.  Luckily Jack Woerhle came down to
the gate and got us in.  Thanks Jack. We missed the Thursday practice,
so Tom was already behind the learning curve.  On Friday's session, he
was not far behind the other SW/FoT, Bob Kramer and Greg Hilyer.  The
Friday afternoon reenactment was amazing.  We could not believe the
number of spectators and the support by the local community.  We also
had ground clearance issues and the tailpipe got knocked loose behind
the header.

Saturday morning was wet, but we ran anyway.  The car came in with a bad
miss.  For those who don't want to wade through the details, I'll put
the problems and diagnosis down at the bottom.  We missed the Saturday
afternoon session, so the Triumph feature was only Tom's second time on
a dry track.  He was doing well at the beginning, and the SW/FoT were
running together (Hilyer, Kramer and Young). Tom says we were faster on
the straights, but they did better in the turns. Unfortunately, the
overdrive went out in the middle of the race.  I've now got a 4:55 rear,
so the overdrive is essential.  Due to the loss of speed on the
straights, Tom fell back at that point and was eventually passed by
Richard Brown's Spitfire. I think we may have fried the overdrive during
the reenactment due to the loose tailpipe.  Bill, do you still have
those overdrive parts?  I may need them.  I was watching the race at the
toe of the boot.  Saw the wonderful three car dice between Frye,
Williams and Wright. We saw the spin by Randy Williams and his TR3
sideways in the middle of the track. Then two yellow TR4s went around on
each side.  It was also great to watch the TR250K - so beautiful and so
fast!

I was completely overwhelmed during the FoT awards ceremony, when they
announced my name for the "Bill Ames, Racing for Life" award.  I suppose
this has something to do with my being a cancer survivor. I was
diagnosed a couple months after our 2006 gathering at Hallett.
Fortunately, for multiple myeloma the best treatment center in the world
is in Little Rock.  After six month long chemo sessions over a one year
period the cancer is in complete remission and should remain that way
for several years.  I would not have made it through this process, if
not for the wonderful care by my wife, Sue. Unfortunately, the cancer
did a number on my back, so I had to give up driving.  Tom has been
doing a great job since he took driving duties. He has now gotten
married and moved to Albuquerque, making the logistics too difficult, so
we are selling our car. I may not be actively racing, but I do plan to
stay active with the group, as long as you'll have me.  I have never met
a better bunch to hang out with. Thank you so much for the award.
Larry Young

_Saturday Engine Problems:_ First, we discovered a broken rocker
pedestal stud.  A second one was bent, but the rest of the valve train
looked ok.  We got that all fixed with the help of spares from Henry
Frye and Bob Kramer.  Thanks guys.  We thought we were home free, but
no, the engine was still missing.  Discovered no compression on #1.
Then, discovered no valve clearance on #1 exhaust (didn't measure the
lash, just felt that the rocker was not loose).  Reset the lash.  Still
had a miss.  Rocker was still tight, so thought we had no lash.  We had
about 8 guys hanging around trying to figure out what could be causing
this behavior. Is the valve seat going away, causing the valve to recede
in the head?  Someone noticed that there was very little clearance
between the valve retainer and the rocker arm, but we didn't follow up
on that.  Henry has this really cool bore scope, which seemed to be
indicating a problem with the exhaust valve.  Tom and I looked at each
other, and I was thinking "Oh no. not another Mid-Ohio". We decided to
pull the head to check the valve.  Couldn't find anything wrong with the
valve or valve seat.  We were getting a lot of good help and advice from
Ed Diehl - how cool is that?  Finally, noticed a spot where the rocker
had been hitting the spring retainer.  Decided that was the smoking gun.
A little grinding with the Dremel tool was all that was required.
Unfortunately, we went through a lot of work to discover this small
problem.  We have been chasing a high speed miss (6,000 RPM) for more
than a year.  We had thought it was fuel, but I believe this clearance
issue has been the problem.  With all the valve train dynamic
calculations I've been doing lately, I should have known there could be
enough vibration to cause a problem like this. So, add this to the list
of clearances to check.

--------------020300070103090803030905

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
We spent Monday in NYC, so just got back to Tulsa last night.&nbsp; <br>
We had a wonderful weekend.&nbsp; I had originally planned to fly in and
hang out, but at the last minute Tom was available to drive, so we
brought our car (#16 yellow TR3).&nbsp; We arrived about 6:00 pm Thursday
only to find out we couldn't get into the track due to closed
registration.&nbsp; Bob Lang was in a similar predicament.&nbsp; Luckily Jack
Woerhle came down to the gate and got us in.&nbsp; Thanks Jack. We missed
the Thursday practice, so Tom was already behind the learning curve.&nbsp;
On Friday's session, he was not far behind the other SW/FoT, Bob Kramer
and Greg Hilyer.&nbsp; The Friday afternoon reenactment was amazing.&nbsp; We
could not believe the number of spectators and the support by the local
community.&nbsp; We also had ground clearance issues and the tailpipe got
knocked loose behind the header.<br>
Saturday morning was wet, but we ran anyway.&nbsp; The car came in with a
bad miss.&nbsp; For those who don't want to wade through the details, I'll
put the problems and diagnosis down at the bottom.&nbsp; We missed the
Saturday afternoon session, so the Triumph feature was only Tom's
second time on a dry track.&nbsp; He was doing well at the beginning, and
the SW/FoT were running together (Hilyer, Kramer and Young). Tom says
we were faster on the straights, but they did better in the turns.
Unfortunately, the overdrive went out in the middle of the race.&nbsp; I've
now got a 4:55 rear, so the overdrive is essential.&nbsp; Due to the loss of
speed on the straights, Tom fell back at that point and was eventually
passed by Richard Brown's Spitfire. I think we may have fried the
overdrive during the reenactment due to the loose tailpipe.&nbsp; Bill, do
you still have those overdrive parts?&nbsp; I may need them.&nbsp; I was
watching
the race at the toe of the boot.&nbsp; Saw the wonderful three car dice
between Frye, Williams and Wright. We saw the spin by Randy Williams
and his TR3 sideways in the middle of the track. Then two yellow TR4s
went around on each side.&nbsp; It was also great to watch the TR250K - so
beautiful and so fast!<br>
I was completely overwhelmed during the FoT awards ceremony, when they
announced my name for the "Bill Ames, Racing for Life" award.&nbsp; I
suppose this has something to do with my being a cancer survivor. I was
diagnosed a couple months after our 2006 gathering at Hallett.
Fortunately, for multiple myeloma the best treatment center in the
world is in Little Rock.&nbsp; After six month long chemo sessions over a
one year period the cancer is in complete remission and should remain
that way for several years.&nbsp; I would not have made it through this
process, if not for the wonderful care by my wife, Sue. Unfortunately,
the cancer did a number on my back, so I had to give up driving.&nbsp; Tom
has been doing a great job since he took driving duties. He has now
gotten married and moved to Albuquerque, making the logistics too
difficult, so we are selling our car. I may not be actively racing, but
I do plan to stay active with the group, as long as you'll have me.&nbsp; I
have never met a better bunch to hang out with. Thank you so much for
the award.<br>
Larry Young<br>
<u>Saturday Engine Problems:</u> First, we discovered a broken rocker
pedestal stud.&nbsp; A second one was bent, but the rest of the valve train
looked ok.&nbsp; We got that all fixed with the help of spares from Henry
Frye and Bob Kramer.&nbsp; Thanks guys.&nbsp; We thought we were home free, but
no, the engine was still missing.&nbsp; Discovered no compression on #1.&nbsp;
Then, discovered no valve clearance on #1 exhaust (didn't measure the
lash, just felt that the rocker was not loose).&nbsp; Reset the lash.&nbsp;
Still
had a miss.&nbsp; Rocker was still tight, so thought we had no lash.&nbsp; We
had
about 8 guys hanging around trying to figure out what could be causing
this behavior. Is the valve seat going away, causing the valve to
recede in the head?&nbsp; Someone noticed that there was very little
clearance between the valve retainer and the rocker arm, but we didn't
follow up on that.&nbsp; Henry has this really cool bore scope, which seemed
to be indicating a problem with the exhaust valve.&nbsp; Tom and I looked at
each other, and I was thinking "Oh no. not another Mid-Ohio". We
decided to pull the head to check the valve.&nbsp; Couldn't find anything
wrong with the valve or valve seat.&nbsp; We were getting a lot of good help
and advice from Ed Diehl - how cool is that?&nbsp; Finally, noticed a spot
where the rocker had been hitting the spring retainer.&nbsp; Decided that
was the smoking gun. A little grinding with the Dremel tool was all
that was required.&nbsp; Unfortunately, we went through a lot of work to
discover this small problem.&nbsp; We have been chasing a high speed miss
(6,000 RPM) for more than a year.&nbsp; We had thought it was fuel, but I
believe this clearance issue has been the problem.&nbsp; With all the valve
train dynamic calculations I've been doing lately, I should have known
there could be enough vibration to cause a problem like this. So, add
this to the list of clearances to check.<br>