fot

Re: [Fot] Beaten by equipment

To: Friends of Triumph Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Beaten by equipment
From: Andre Rousseau <andre@gt6.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 21:23:49 -0400
--===============0683848693==

--Apple-Mail-9-555377170

A friend of mine had an odd vib, on a whim he swapped the drums and
yeah it went away.

A.

--
Andre Rousseau - andre@gt6.ca
'68 Triumph GT6 MK1 - http://www.gt6.ca/

--Apple-Mail-9-555377170

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div>A friend of mine had an =
odd vib, on a whim he swapped the drums and yeah it went =
15-Sep-08, at 9:20 PM, <a =
href=3D"mailto:JHOUATHOME@aol.com";>JHOUATHOME@aol.com</a> =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"> <div id=3D"role_body" style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: =
#000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottommargin=3D"7" leftmargin=3D"7" =
topmargin=3D"7" rightmargin=3D"7"><font id=3D"role_document" =
TR4 used to have a similar mystery vibration, which in the end, after =
much frustrating searching over many events, turned out to be an out of =
balance rear brake drum.&nbsp; Stupid,&nbsp;I know.&nbsp; I had also =
been through several attempts to balance wheels, replace wheels, and =
balance everything else, and simply never thought of those old iron =
drums.&nbsp; I swapped them out and never had the problem again.&nbsp; =
The strangest thing about it was that the problem seemed to be =
intermittent, and would crop-up with no pattern that I could figure =
out.&nbsp; In the end, that was it though.&nbsp; Upon more careful =
consideration I realized that it was only happening at Road America, the =
Glen, and BIR, all pretty fast places.&nbsp; I was delighted to figure =
it out.&nbsp; Hope this is your problem, and not something more =
7:57:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time, <a =
href=3D"mailto:lunkercars@earthlink.net";>lunkercars@earthlink.net</a> =
writes:</div> <blockquote style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"><font style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent" face=3D"Arial" color=3D"#000000" size=3D"2">Hello   =
all,<br>Beaten by equipment...<br>My previous posting from Brainard =
quoted the   common wisdom "you&nbsp; <br>gotta' finish to win". Well, I =
was reminded that   you gotta' start to&nbsp; <br>finish. Sunday at =
Brainard shaped up to be what   I would call "ideal&nbsp; =
only&nbsp; <br>fools/idiots/&amp; the die-hards like me [3 in 1]   would =
dare go out -&nbsp; <br>perfect. Not sure if excessive oil pressure from =
  the 40ish temp on my&nbsp; <br>20W50 caused it [doubtful] or if it was =
just   it's time, but upon&nbsp; <br>startup for the sunday race the oil =
cooler chose   to rupture in the&nbsp; <br>pits and that was the end of =
that. Could have   by-passed it for the&nbsp; <br>next race but it was =
canceled due to conditions   too perfect for me to&nbsp; <br>even =
imagine. Oh well - finding out that the   top 4 finishers behind&nbsp; =
knowing&nbsp; <br>that they were all gunning for me might not   have =
made sunday quite as&nbsp; <br>enjoyable as saturday.<br>Interesting to  =
 note that that although I do buy better that 50% of my&nbsp; <br>perts =
from   Moss, 100% of my failures have been from parts they have&nbsp; =
false&nbsp; <br>economy&nbsp;   and bitten me in the butt.<br>Now on to =
good vibrations and bad vibrations.   The Beach Boys told us&nbsp; =
I&nbsp; <br>ever felt the bad one was at Watkins Glen. It   may well =
have existed&nbsp; <br>before but my car has never been on a track   =
that fast. So far as my&nbsp; <br>butt and brain can tell, it doesn't =
come on   until somewhere beyond&nbsp; <br>100mph. After getting the =
driveshaft   straightened last week I thought&nbsp; <br>I had surely got =
to the problem.   First couple sessions at Brainard&nbsp; <br>felt good =
but that proved to be a   combination of wishful thinking and&nbsp; =
and&nbsp; <br>again at Brainard I almost   convinced myself that it was =
4th gear only&nbsp; <br>but I am now pretty sure   that it is only =
dependent on road speed -&nbsp; <br>i.e., it's felt near   redline in =
3rd and only gets worse as 4th&nbsp; <br>progresses. Scared the   speed =
right out of me the first time I felt it&nbsp; <br>come on, but after   =
many teeth grinding laps with nothing coming thru&nbsp; <br>the block   =
[convinced it's not engine related], the trans. case, or&nbsp; <br>thru =
the   floor, I've lived with it thru the last two races. Doesn't&nbsp; =
starter&nbsp;   <br>[thanks again Moss Motors] and exorbitant entry =
fees, will likely&nbsp;   <br>keep me from going to Road America.<br>Any =
Ideas? The drive-shaft   straightening didn't seem to do anything.&nbsp; =
not&nbsp; <br>it. U-joints are fine [by   all appearances], can't find =
any slop in&nbsp; <br>the trans. output shaft or   the diff, input =
[pinion] shaft nor any run- <br>out&nbsp; on the input shaft   flange or =
axles. Defiantly not coming from&nbsp; <br>the front as it is not   =
transmitted thru the steering wheel. Rear axle&nbsp; <br>bearings seem =
to be   in fine shape.<br>The engine is fresh and in good balance. The =
trans. is new   to me&nbsp; <br>[close ratio in a TR6 case] but no =
recognized problems from   the&nbsp; <br>previous FoT owner. I have =
given the original, stock, open.   3.70&nbsp; <br>differential a hard =
life since it's early retirement but I   still&nbsp; <br>can't see how =
that would figure in. The only unknown is my   frozen&nbsp; <br>axle =
shafts... As part of my recent "freshening", I sent the   crank&nbsp; =
and&nbsp; <br>half shafts&nbsp; to Controlled Thermal Processing   [<a =
href=3D"http://metal-wear.com";>http://metal-wear.com</a>]&nbsp; <br>to =
be cryogenically frozen [-300f/+300f in a   68 hour process].&nbsp; =
Being&nbsp; <br>unknown voodoo, I'm creating a   scenario where the =
axle[s] have a bow&nbsp; <br>in it [them] causing a   imbalance, causing =
the vibration but not&nbsp; <br>detectable from the flange   end - not =
very likely but I'm grasping at&nbsp; <br>straws here [oh yea, I'm   =
still in the mid-west so it must be corn].<br>Please believe me, at this =
point   I am willing to consider any ideas&nbsp; <br>regardless how far =
fetched. And   maybe one [some] of you know what I'm&nbsp; <br>feeling =
#314<br>Albuquerque NM <br>&nbsp;   &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;   =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br><br>Fot   mailing   =
list<br>Fot@autox.team.net<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/fot<b=
style=3D"color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr =
style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 10px">Psssst...Have you heard the news? <a =
title=3D"http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=3Daolsty00050000000014"; =
href=3D"http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=3Daolsty00050000000014"; =
target=3D"_blank">There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">--</div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Andre =
Rousseau -&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:andre@gt6.ca";>andre@gt6.ca</a></div><div=
 style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">'68 Triumph GT6 MK1 - <a =
href=3D"http://www.gt6.ca/";>http://www.gt6.ca/</a></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Ottawa, ON, =

--Apple-Mail-9-555377170--