fot

Re: [Fot] State of F1

To: Kas Kastner <kaskas@cox.net>, Friends of Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of F1
From: Shane Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:16:55 -0400
Kas wrote:
> Wind tunnels have an amazing cost.  Some teams have two full size running 24
> hours a day.

That's interesting.  I would have thought that today all
aerodynamic and structure-loading modeling was done on a
computer. As Kas suggests, wind tunnels are expensive, but
computer modeling is dirt-cheap where an engineer can change
model parameters and make the calculations within minutes
that would otherwise necessitate a complete day in a wind tunnel.

Many models these days (I speak for hydrodynamic and sub-atomic
interactions in the far-field) use non-linear models.  I would not be
surprised if non-linear models were used in the simple case of
aerodynamics.

Shane Ingate in NM