fot

Re: [Fot] Street Legal

To: Steven Belfer <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Street Legal
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:20:46 -1000
I think it's a great idea, but then I've considered making Peyote
street legal so I could drive it to the track. Just one of those
whacky ideas. My Ambro will definitely be street legal.
Regs vary greatly from state to state, but in almost any state you can
do a once-in-your-life special registration that covers almost any
construction. the DMV is not generally interested in much, you don't
even need headlights in most states .  You need to find out local
biases and talk to someone at the DMV. Talk to the local hot rodders
and find where the most lenient inspectors are.

On Jan 15, 2009, at 5:33 AM, Steven Belfer wrote:

> Are any of your race cars street legal?
>
> I have considered modifying my car to make it street legal for an
> OCCASIONAL drive.  I probably won't do it because the thought of
> some driver in a Escalade with video screens on the cell phone might
> be my demise.  I'm more afraid of that than turn 9 at Willow Springs.
>
> If you have gone "streetable" with a former race car, what are your
> experiences or recommendations?
>
> If I did it, I'd have to do the following:  Raise the ride height,
> bad idea for a race car
>
> Put in an alternator, lights and a horn:  No big deal
>
> Use milder cyl head or thicker HG for less compression / pump gas
>
> Muffler: Supertrapp?
>
> Title!  My car has no title but I have the ID plates from a scrapped
> TR3.
>
> This is probably a bad idea.  I know my dad wouldn't like it but
> it's killing me to only enjoy being in the car a few times per year.
>
> What would they look at at the DMV?
>

> ~Steve

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins