fot

Re: [Fot] Street Legal

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>,<BillDentin@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Street Legal
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:59:23 -0500
At 01:47 PM 1/19/2009, Joe Curry wrote:
>You'd think that after all these years, Aircraft engineers would have
>figured out how to prevent debris from entering the engines.
>
>Something like a screen that can somehow clean itslf to keep debris from
>accumulating and restricting air flow.
>
>The revolving clear plastic cover that the F1 car cameras use to keep the
>lens clear is a possibility.
>
>Joe C.

The Brits pioneered a revolving "window" in front of destroyer bridge
windows ("portals"?, I'm an Army guy) during WWII.  The perspex
revolved fast enough to spin off water.  But there's a world of
difference between destroyer full chat and jet aircraft speeds.  ISTR
reading that a 10 pound bird packs 10K of force at 200 MPH.  If I
weren't so lazy I'd run the math.

--
J.C. Hassall
Blacksburg VA