fot

Re: [Fot] Street Legal

To: Richard Taylor <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Street Legal
From: Kurt Oblinger <koblinger@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:10:39 -0800
It's not just ingestion into the engines that make bird strikes
dangerous. Years ago I worked on the B-1B program and we had a ship go
down in Colorado on a low level training mission. A pelican, that's
right a pelican in Colorado, struck the joint between the engine nacelle
and the wing, penetrated the nacelle and took out fuel and hydraulic
lines. The result was fire, loss of thrust and control authority. All of
this at 500mph and about 500ft. The four crewman ejected safely but
there were two instructor/observers on board in jump seats. They didn't
have time to get out. The vulnerable area the bird hit was only about 4
inches high and covered by a thin aerodynamic fairing. A true case of a
golden BB. As a result there was a mod implemented where they put a
rigid deflector behind the aerodynamic fairing.