fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!
From: <dos_gusanos@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:59:51 -0700
A couple of problems in all this.  I know that some folks see a slow car as a
guy who may be enjoying a piece of automotive history.  That aint everybody.

1. In New Mexico where I should be racing, lack of entries has driven
organizers to allow flares and slicks to run in the "vintage races".  Where do
you draw the line? Anywhere?  Should I now put slicks on?  Screw the five
speed 8" wide rims will do a lot better than that.  2.  Vintage racing is
about a passion for racing old cars that have been passed on by the march of
technology.  Yes there has to be financial viability but this doesn't mean
selling out.  I will pay more and travel farther to go to a quality event
rather than hang around town to go to my lowest cost alternative.

3.  Vintage racing periodicals celebrate those who violate the vintage spirit
by describing the exploits of the guys who win the races.  These reports are
never interspersed with comments like "but he was cheating with flares and
slicks".

4. I hear spectators and drivers of fast cars complaining about slower cars,
making comments like "why's that guy even out there?" "or he shold have
someone walking in front of him waving a red flag".    Hmmmm what else?  I'm
sure I've heard more.  It's not a situation wheree everybody's in love with
each other.

5.  The most enjoyable events I have been to are where the playing field is a
little more level.  the field doesn't get so spread out and ther is not as
much lapping.

Just  another fvive cents worth,  Henry Morrison