fot

Re: [Fot] Hard cornering

To: MadMarx <tr4racing@googlemail.com>, Michael Porter
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hard cornering
From: Kas Kastner <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 20:31:39 -0700
The traction bars were great for standing starts but not of much help in normal
racing in these more modern flying start races.
---- Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com> wrote:

=============
MadMarx wrote:
> If the radius arm is something like a Panhard rod or a Watts link then it
> seems that most of the European racers don't use them.

Probably some confusion with terminology has been introduced.  Ladder
bars are typically used with leaf spring live axles in order to prevent
rotation of the axle housing and spring wrap-up under power.  Lateral
radius rods (or Panhard rod) or a Watts link are used to maintain
lateral axle location of live axles sprung with coil springs, and should
be unnecessary with properly installed leaf springs.   In theory,
longitudinal radius rods (as with a 3- or 4-bar arrangement) can be used
with either leaf or coil springs to prevent rotation of the axle housing
under power and braking.

FWIW.  That's the way I've always understood the functions of those items.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....