fot

Re: [Fot] Hard cornering

To: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hard cornering
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:20:22 -0700
yup.
On Aug 5, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Michael Porter wrote:

> MadMarx wrote:
>> If the radius arm is something like a Panhard rod or a Watts link then it
>> seems that most of the European racers don't use them.
>>

> Probably some confusion with terminology has been introduced.  Ladder bars
are typically used with leaf spring live axles in order to prevent rotation of
the axle housing and spring wrap-up under power.  Lateral radius rods (or
Panhard rod) or a Watts link are used to maintain lateral axle location of
live axles sprung with coil springs, and should be unnecessary with properly
installed leaf springs.   In theory, longitudinal radius rods (as with a 3- or
4-bar arrangement) can be used with either leaf or coil springs to prevent
rotation of the axle housing under power and braking.