fot

Re: [Fot] Steering wheel lock

To: Friends of Triumph <FOT@autox.team.net>, Don Marshall <donmarshall@nefcom.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Steering wheel lock
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:00:58 +0000
---- Don Marshall <donmarshall@nefcom.net> wrote:
> I have a Stag/Buick that I want to sell to help fund the racing budget, but
> the steering wheel lock is engaged and won't release, even when I turn the
> key on and off multiple times.  Short of knocking out the lock mechanism,
> does anyone know any tricks to get it free.  I have the key and it turns
> freely, but nothing releases.  I don't have a battery in the car but I
> can't imagine electricity is required for the lock mechanism.  I'm guessing
> the lock is the same on all the TRs so hopefully someone has experienced
> this and fixed it. Any ideas?

Definitely try turning the wheel first.

My guess though is that you will have to remove the lock mechanism.  Take off
the plastic shroud around it (3 screws up from the bottom IIRC).  If you are
lucky, someone has already replaced the "security" bolts through the lock
mechanism, but if not, use a Dremel and a cutoff blade to slot the heads.  Or
just grind the heads off.  The bolts are a standard thread (1/4-20?), so just
replace them with hex head bolts and maybe a flat & lock washer.  They aren't
visible once the shroud is installed.

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com