fot

[Fot] Trouble with Porterfield Brake Pads

Subject: [Fot] Trouble with Porterfield Brake Pads
From: tr4abrad at gmail.com (Brad Eells)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:21:56 -0800
Hello Amici,

Porterfield brake pads in the R4-1 compound were recommended to me. I
dutifully ordered a set for my Spitfire.

I should mention the car has been upgraded to GT6 brake calipers, the
venerable Girling 16P. My TR4 and 4A also use the 16P. I have been buying
brake pads for these cars for over 35 years.

I have had my calipers rebuilt and purchased new retaining pins as well.
The Porterfield pads arrived. I found 2 issues. The pad compound shape was
not the same as every pad I have previously purchased or what is shown on
Porterfield's website. I also found the retaining pin holes in the puck to
be too small. The puck itself is the same general dimension as my original
Girling Competition pad and does fit in the caliper but I cannot put the
pins through the holes.

I simply assumed they had sent pads for the later GT6, the Girling 16PB or
M16PB that use 3/16" retaining pins.

8 Emails with manager, Wendy and 1 phone call with engineer Tim and we
still have a disagreement. I was told they had sold that exact pad "for 25
years" for my application and no one had ever had a problem or complained.
When I asked why I couldn't simply have what was shown on their website as
the pad for the 16P, I was told that was just a general illustration and
not correct for any specific application.

They have offered to drill out the retaining pin holes to fit my pins. I am
honestly disappointed that I simply can't have what fits out of the box and
to have to argue the point back and forth through multiple Emails and a
terse phone call.

So, my questions to those of you running a 16P (late TR3 through early TR6
and GT6 1968-72 along with many other British applications) are:

1. Are you using Porterfield pads in your calipers?

2. Have you found them to fit the standard 1/4" retaining pin?

3. If you have found them to not fit the pins, are you drilling them out
yourself?

4. Does the difference in pad shape concern you at all (photo attached)?

5. If not Porterfield, then what are you using? Without divulging any speed
secrets, of course...

I'm close enough to their facility that I can appear there with my pins,
pads and calipers to prove what they disbelieve...it just shouldn't have to
come to that with a reputable company from my view...

Your thoughts and experience are appreciated.

??

Thanks!

*Brad Eells*
*Chino CA*