British car problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: British car problem
From: RAWDAWGS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:42:44 EDT
I know this is somewhat off topic, but I am helping a buddy with his TD and
this is the best source of knowledge I know of. He put in his recently rebuilt
engine (and then pulled it to fix a timing chain error by the rebuilder) and
it runs fine. Problem is when he presses in on the clutch pedal the engine
loads up and dies. He pulled the tranny out to try to work the clutch manually
and
it doesn't appear to be moving in and out. It is a mechanical clutch not
hydraulic like ours. Everything is lined up and looks OK but either the clutch
disc is stuck to the driven plate or something is binding it up. He put in a
new
clutch plate since he had the engine out, but the old one wasn't that worn. If
it is just a stuck disc, I know we can jack up the rear wheels and fool
around and bust it loose, but I can't understand why the a stuck clutch would
kill
the engine. SM