RE: Changing Non-adjustable to adjustable steering

To: "Franck Vigneron" <vigneronf@yahoo.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Changing Non-adjustable to adjustable steering
From: "Neal Grotenhuis" <grotenhuis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:34:33 -0400
Franck,

I can understand you wanting to "make it correct" to align with the Heritage
Certificate, but the only adjustment brings the wheel closer as compared
with what you have now, which is too close to begin with in my opinion.
This seems like a lot of work for someone like a P.O. to go thru...could the
Heritage certificate be mistaken and your car was actually built  as is?
The non-adjustable stator tube is solid, and a bit more robust, whereas the
adjustable unit is a two-piece design with a slot to accomodate the wheel
sliding in and out.  This slot is also suppose to keep the trafficator from
spinning while the wheel turns, but the slot can get widened.

I prefer the non-adjustable set up; others will disagree I'm sure.  I'm
curious how many listers with adjustable columns actually ever adjust them?
Or are they all as close to the dash as possible?

Neal G.
'61 BT7