Road to Conclave

To: Orbittor@aol.com, BogiStogi@aol.com, TonyOnboard@aol.com, NSR@adorno.com,
Subject: Road to Conclave
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:55:57 EDT
I had a longish day (about 450 miles) from Brush, Colorado to Las Vegas, New
Mexico from where I am writing.  I stopped in Denver to have breakfast with
lister Richard Gordon and he took this picture:
http://homepage.mac.com/juli_richard_gordon/PhotoAlbum10.html

Richard advised of afternoon storms but ever the optimist I declined to put
up the top and had a cool ride till early afternoon under overcast skies.  But
as Richard predicted things did not hold up and as I approached Trinidad,
Colorado the overcast changed suddenly into an approaching line of dark, low
clouds and I got off the road to erect the hood, then got back on.  I crested
out
at Raton pass and got nailed by a blast of cold air and some BIG raindrops but
no hail so I continued along.  However, things deteriorated further as I went
south and I finally had to duck under an overpass for about 15 minutes when
the hail started.  After the worst of it blew east I got back on the road and
drove out from under cloud cover around  Springer, NM where things got back to
their usual warm.  Tough country, this!

If the terrain of North and South Dakota was from "Dances With Wolves" then
this is definitely were they filmed "Silverado".  Forgive me if I misuse
topographic terminology, but the scenery just makes me want to trade the Healey
in
on a packhorse and go down the arroyo and up onto the mesas.   There's not much
here but open space, and lots of it!

Car continues to run well, and even when running sustained at 75 mph in the
heat my temperature holds at 180.  I am stopping tomorrow in Albuquerque to
visit lister Dave Porter of Taos Garage Annex for some scheduled maintenance
(oil
change) as I have run about 3000 miles since starting out.  Also the clutch
feels like I may have a  bit of air in it.

That's all folks--Michael