Re: Oxygen Sensors

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oxygen Sensors
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 20:03:53 -0700
OK, but O2 sensors produce voltage in the sub-millivolt range.
How are you going to correlate, say, 0.16 millivolts with power?
At most, the sensor will--with a suitable table of voltage/O2 content
mixture values--tell you whether your mixture is relatively lean or rich
at any given throttle position, but not whether that is the best setting for
power.

Regardless of the needle profile, Healeys (and most older cars) run best
with a richer than stoichiometric mixture.  Rich mixtures foul O2 sensors in
a matter of minutes (or less).  Last time I bought an O2 sensor it was over
$80, with one for each cylinder that's almost $500 worth of sensors to
be replaced fairly regularly.

Like I wrote, if you want to rig the car this way, and correlate sensor
readings with power output using a dyno you might get some improvement.
But there's other things you can do to get more benefit with less work.

Unlike typical (American) fixed-choke carburettors, when you set the
mixture at idle of an SU you ARE changing the mixture at all throttle settings
... this
is one of the benefits of its elegant design.  If you're really into fine-tuning
SUs, you put the car on a dyno and alter the needle profile to produce the
best power at given throttle positions.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net