Fan belt pulley wobble + Replacement Water Pump?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan belt pulley wobble + Replacement Water Pump?
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:50:43 -0500
I have gotten a couple of emails telling me if there is a wobble in the fan
belt pulley, and I cannot get any front to back movement from the pulley
with the belt off, something is wrong with the water pump shaft.

Before I start pulling the radiator out, I want to find out what I am going
to have to do.  Does this mean I have to replace the pump with a new one or
can they be rebuilt?  Is rebuilding worth the effort?  If it is, is this a
DIY job or one to take to a shop?

If the answer is buy a new water pump, are the new water pumps as good as
the originals?  I see that Moss lists the BN4 pump (580-009) as unavailable,
but the later pump (835-020) is interchangeable.  What is the difference
between them?

Thanks as always.
Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX - '57 A-H 100-Six - http://Austin-Healeys.com
- Marissa: "Wow, that's really loud."
- Frank: "Yeah, thanks, I took the restrictor plate off. ...gives the red
dragon a little more juice. But uh, let's keep that on the downlow! It's not
exactly street legal." - Old School