Re: Fan belt pulley wobble + Replacement Water Pump?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fan belt pulley wobble + Replacement Water Pump?
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:31:37 -0700
Patton,

re:
"Does this mean I have to replace the pump with a new one or
can they be rebuilt?  Is rebuilding worth the effort?  If it is, is this a
DIY job or one to take to a shop?"

They can be rebuilt, if you can get the parts (bearing/shaft and seal).
You'll need a hydraulic press.  The "trick," I expect, is to get the
proper depth on the shaft for the impeller and the pulley.  I've seen the
parts available for older 6-cyl models, but have yet to see them for my BJ8.

A few years ago when I needed a pump, I found a shop in OH (I think)
that would rebuild mine but the cost--with shipping, etc.--was nearly
that of a new pump so I bought new.   I just bought a new one on sale
from Victoria British (sorry, the sale is over) and was very happy with the
quality.  They even included the pulley, a gasket, new studs--which
aren't available anywhere that I know of--and lockwashers!  Frankly, for the
price I'd buy new ($80-100), because the impellors gradually rust away.  But
check--sometimes they include the pulley--the new one from VB did--and
sometimes they don't.  I think on older Healeys the pulley is bolted-on and
uses a Woodruff key, but on my BJ8 the pulley has to be pressed on.

Healey pumps seem to last about 70,000 miles--not unusual for any
make of car.

BTW, it's not unusual for the seal (it's ceramic) to leak a little until it
gets bedded in.  I've heard some recommend to spin the pump dry--on
a lathe but suppose you could rig a drill somehow--for a few seconds to
bed the seal.

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

Subject: Fan belt pulley wobble + Replacement Water Pump?