Re: Horses of a Different Color

To: Jerry Wall <jwbn6@iopener.net>, list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Horses of a Different Color
From: Scot paulson <SPAULSON1@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:12:47 -0400
Message text written by Jerry Wall
>there is a reliable reference, the BMC factory paint code BU2.  in my
100-6 parts manual, the nomenclature for BU2 is Healey Blue, however,
you'll probably get as many variations depending upon mixers trying to
follow the formula.  the colour is also dependent upon the painter and how
the metallic stands up.  for example, there are 3 different Healeys on the
cover of the anderson/moment restoration manual, all Healey Blue, and all a
different shade of blue.  bear in mind, the early metallics of the 50's
bear no resemblance whatsoever to the quality of metallic paint today.
anyone painting metallics today uses a clear coat which protects the
metallic and allows you to polish the clear without moving around the
metallic.  metallics before clear coats were the pits.
davidwjones wrote:

 > -Actually, I had a couple of off-list responses from early BN1 owners
who claim
 > that the non-metal flake blue was the original color of their cars, and
that
 > their "build records" called it "Healey Blue".
 > Leo Gleason, who lives in this area and won best in show at a Conclave
about 12?
 > years ago, with his "Healey Blue" over white BJ7?.........He told me
that since
 > there was no real reliable reference for Healey Blue, he had admittedly
made his
 > a couple of shades more gray than is usual, "because he liked it". And
his car
 > walked away with 98+ points.....  It WAS a handsome color.  -He sold
that car
 > about 5-6 years ago, ..I don't know who owns it now..<

Roger Moment wrote an excellent article about a year ago on this subject in
the Healey magazine for AHCUSA titled "Metallic Paint Colors"

My BJ8 is very close to the original blue color I believe and if I ever
repaint it I will use Roger's suggestions.

Scot
'66 BJ8