Re: Rear Springs

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>, "Larry Swift"
Subject: Re: Rear Springs
From: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:17:36 -0700
Hi List,

Just something I do when assembling a chassis.  Do not tighten the big nuts
at the front and rear of the rear spring "rubber" bushings until the chassis
has been loaded enough to get the bottom plate in firm contact w/ the bottom
of the spring.  Why?  Just to be sure that the arch of the spring is as
close as possible to its normal arch.  On a bare chassis, I stack a bunch of
wheel/tires in the trunk area to load the chassis. Hey, they have not yet
been installed anyway. :-)

John Snyder

> Larry,
>
> When attached and the rear suspension is unloaded, i.e.: up on jacks, the
rear axle rests heavily on the frame. On the frame there should be 2 flat
rectangular rubber buffers (1 on each side) that the axle rests on. With
> weight, I think the axle lifts off the rails, but not by much! I'll send
you a photo of my BT7 axle off list.