Re: Lucas "helmet" battery terminals

To: <RCT2BNC@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas "helmet" battery terminals
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:44:06 -0400
I don't know if the lead coated brass ones are any better than the all lead
ones...
I've had the same thing happen with clamp type terminals. While a really tight
fit of a freshly brushed contact surface helps, a high resistance film of
oxidation on the terminal and clamp are the culprit. Most oxides of metals are
lousy conductors. So with the helmets the oxidation re-occurs. I use a really
thin coat of electrically conductive grease inside the helmet clamp and on the
terminal lug. I got the grease as a "freebee" from when I was in electronics
in the Air Force many moons ago, but I think you can get it at most
electronics shops. I think it is normally used on electrical contact points
between power and rotating parts. It serves as a good current interface, and
prevents the oxidation.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA