RE: Media blast or acid dip?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Media blast or acid dip?
From: Alain Gigučre <agig@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:59:16 -0400
  The inside of the frame is a concern.  The acid will get in and
clean out the inside of the frame, where media blasting won't.  Then the
e-coat process will get in and treat all of the "hidden" spots.  And - yes, I
know that acid dipping a body can result in swiss cheese when it comes out the
other side.  Media blasting can do that to a certain extent also I suppose.  I
guess I'm comfortable that my car body/frame is ok, as near as I have been
able to get in there and check it out.  Plus, that's why we have Kilmartin -
if needed.  Am I missing something, or is the choice of treatments more a
matter of money, and/or what's available in your local area?  Thanks for any
thoughts.

Dave M.
61 BN7
--

Dave, I think the first thing you have to think about is that the
substructure of the frame, as well as the frame, for that matter, has
lots of areas where metal was spot welded onto metal and that
potentially all of those overlapping areas are rusty inside. Scary
isn't it?
It all depends on how brave, how patient and how rich you are I
guess. To go hunting after rust on a Healey is asking for it. But you
should go after as much as you can afford to while you have the car
apart. I think anything that has hidden crevices should not be acid
or caustic dipped unless you are prepared to wait a year for any
stuff to come back out. Sandblasting or ice blasting can do a good
job. You have to blast with just enough pressure to get the job done,
but not to warp the part. You also should clean out the stuff as much
as you can, again you need to take things apart...then paint and
Waxoyl should give your baby enough protection to last another 40
years.

Cheers,

        Alain Giguere
        BN7 Bits