RE: BJ8 Projects

To: "'James Sailer'" <heliskier@direcway.com>,
Subject: RE: BJ8 Projects
From: "rjhco" <rjh@hockertlaw.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:01:20 -0500
projects for this winter (can't wait) ..

on tap ..

2. Am considering adding DW headers and 2 inch pipes ..  keeping my SUs ..

I would love feedback from anyone who has done this  .. also feedback on

keeping my SUs with the headers ...  I have the DW headers.  I found it
necessary to relieve (notch) the square tubing near the shroud support post
in order to provide adequate clearance for the header pipes.  I relieved the
area about .50", fabricated a curved insert, heliarc welded it in place and
dressed down the welds.  I pulled the engine to do the work.  I also had to
relieve the front outrigger by about .75".  Plan on some cut and paste to
make the headers fit.

5. am contriving a brace system of my own to stiffen up the scuttle .....The
scuttle shake problem stems from the lack of stiffness of the main frame
rails in from the X-beams forward.  Design your repairs/improvements
starting with front end stability including trueing the wire wheels and
precise balancing.

7. Cold air box. I have a cold air box that I fabricated.  The box should be
equivalent in size to the displacement of the engine.  In order to fabricate
a box large enough to not restrict air flow, I had to rework the pedal
support box braces. I had to move them outboard about 1".  This is a major
rework that requires first building a jig to ensure that the inner body
remains square while you are making the changes. This alteration is not for
the faint of heart.

Thoughts on any of these would be welcome ...

Best regards,

Jim Hockert

BJ8 Rallye

Dallas, TX