Re: BJ8 Projects

To: James Sailer <heliskier@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: BJ8 Projects
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:10:58 -0600
Hi Jim,
I am somewhat talking apples & oranges here, as my experience is with
the four cylinder version.

James Sailer wrote:

> 1. fix my front main seal once and for all ... and likely add a DW aluminum
> sump at the same time ... anyone used the DW sump ?  Am also going to add a
> DW oil pump .... also looking into a PCV valve setup David Nock threw past
> me one day in conversation ....

I am also planning to use a DW aluminum sump & pump. I consider it to be
"fluff" as I don't really need either one. Just can't leave things
alone. Also planning to add a PCV when I get enough ambition to add a
carb balance tube tap.

> 2. Am considering adding DW headers and 2 inch pipes ..  keeping my SUs ..
> I would love feedback from anyone who has done this  .. also feedback on
> keeping my SUs with the headers ...

I have the DW 2" headers & complete exhaust system. Works well & sounds
good. No reason to change carbs. I did change the needles to one step
richer. Also the DW aluminum head & 100M H6 carbs. I think your HD8's
should handle things well.

> 3. will be adding my mike Lempert diff gears ....

I have a set of 3.545 diff gears from an old Austin sedan with auto
transmission. Combined with the 28% overdrive it cruises at around 80
mph at 3,000 rpm. Love it, one of the best modifications I have made.

> 4. am plannng a remote cd changer ...  I have gone back and forth between
> under the dash behind the console or in the boot but still have not decided

No experience, no comment.

> 5. am contriving a brace system of my own to stiffen up the scuttle .....

I don't know the meaning of scuttle shake on the Hundred Four. I guess
if you need it, do it.

> 6. new throttle shaffts for my carbs ... although I thought they were pretty
> good my slow idle adjustment is just not as advertised ...

I don't know what is advertised. I run the idle high enough to keep the
generator charging. Around 800 to 900 rpm. You probably know of the
controversies surrounding "proper" idle adjustment of the HD8's.

> 7. Cold air box

Don't even know where to start on a BJ8. I have one on the BN2 & it
helps considerably. You already have most of the "hose space" used with
the present setup. Can you find someplace to add a cold air hose?