Re: BJ8 Projects

To: "rjhco" <rjh@hockertlaw.us>, "'James Sailer'"
Subject: Re: BJ8 Projects
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:32:34 -0700
re: headers

Since the Healey exhaust is a (semi) rigid setup--not like Merkin pipes, which
are loosely hung ;)--the stock downpipes have the 10" piece of flexpipe to
handle
the engine movement w/o stressing and cracking the pipes.

How do you header drivers link the headers to the exhaust while allowing
for the movement of the engine?

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> projects for this winter (can't wait) ..
>
> on tap ..
>

> 2. Am considering adding DW headers and 2 inch pipes ..  keeping my SUs ..
>
> I would love feedback from anyone who has done this  .. also feedback on
>
> keeping my SUs with the headers ...  I have the DW headers.  I found it
> necessary to relieve (notch) the square tubing near the shroud support post
> in order to provide adequate clearance for the header pipes.  I relieved the
> area about .50", fabricated a curved insert, heliarc welded it in place and
> dressed down the welds.  I pulled the engine to do the work.  I also had to
> relieve the front outrigger by about .75".  Plan on some cut and paste to
> make the headers fit.
>

> 5. am contriving a brace system of my own to stiffen up the scuttle .....The
> scuttle shake problem stems from the lack of stiffness of the main frame
> rails in from the X-beams forward.  Design your repairs/improvements
> starting with front end stability including trueing the wire wheels and
> precise balancing.
>

> 7. Cold air box. I have a cold air box that I fabricated.  The box should be
> equivalent in size to the displacement of the engine.  In order to fabricate
> a box large enough to not restrict air flow, I had to rework the pedal
> support box braces. I had to move them outboard about 1".  This is a major
> rework that requires first building a jig to ensure that the inner body
> remains square while you are making the changes. This alteration is not for
> the faint of heart.
>

> Thoughts on any of these would be welcome ...
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jim Hockert
>
> BJ8 Rallye
>
> Dallas, TX