RE: License plate

To: "'Ron Davies'" <rdavies1@cox.net>, "'James Lea'"
Subject: RE: License plate
From: "Don Anglesey" <Don@anglesey.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:39:02 -0700
In the 70's it probably did mean something, but now it seems to be used
as a sales gimmick to increase the selling price. How a car can really
be more valuable because it has black plates is beyond me.  If looking
for rust free cars I would start in Arizona and Nevada where there is no
salt.  In Nevada we have blue plates but all it really means is that you
lived here in 1969 and nothing more, you are able to transfer the plates
to any later cars just like California's 5004.1 (d).

California's code:

5004.1.  (a) An owner of any vehicle that is a 1962 or older model
year vehicle may, after the requirements for the registration of the
vehicle have been complied with and with the approval of the
department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of
year corresponding to the model year date when the vehicle was
manufactured, if the model year date license plate is legible and
serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license
plates otherwise required by this code.  The department may consult
with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the
date of year of the license plate to be used corresponds to the model
year date when the vehicle was manufactured.
   (b) A fee of thirty-five dollars ($35) shall be charged for the
application for use of the special plates.
   (c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for
which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the
plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10).  When
payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this
code, the holder of any license plates with a date corresponding to
the model year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of
twenty dollars ($20), which shall be due at the expiration of the
registration year of the vehicle to which the plate was last assigned
under this section.
   (d) Whenever any person who has been authorized to utilize the
special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the
plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12)
shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

Don
One time black plate 57' BN4