Re: Aluminum Head Valve Adjustment

To: "Doug Miller" <enginem@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Aluminum Head Valve Adjustment
From: "Pat Davis" <PADDYMCK@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:54:49 -0400
Doug,

My experience with the noise from the rockers with the DW aluminum head is
exactly the same as yours and I also set the cold clearance to 0.012in as I
have never seen anything to say otherwise.  I think that is what DW told me
to do.  I have never operated the 100M with an original cast iron head, so
do not know whether it would be any different.  Can you tell the difference
from having tried both types of head set to 0.012in?  I had put the high
level of noise down to the louvred hood directing the noise back at the
cockpit.  I also fitted DW roller rockers later and the noise was unchanged.
The expansion of aluminum is greater that the iron and may be increasing the
hot clearances.

On a related situation with the aluminum head and differences in expansion,
I am getting oil seepage from the (standard) gasket line behind the engine
number plate (not unknown with regular heads and blocks I know).  Have you
or anyone else with these heads had the same result?  I have been
recommended to use the DW head gasket with the high temp silicon sealant and
high strength studs/nuts as the real solution.

regards,

Peter Davis