RE: Rear wheel oil seal - replacement at home?

To: "'Scott Willis'" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear wheel oil seal - replacement at home?
From: "Jim LeBlanc" <jleblanc@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:54:02 -0500
Addressing your question " My concern is whether I need to do anything
special to get the seal seated properly or if I just pull the old out
and push in the new"

The seal needs to be properly installed. Getting it wrong means you get
to do it again.

The seal needs to ride at exactly the same angle as does the bearing,
restating the same thing, at 90 degrees to the axle housing. Any other
angle causes seal vibrations and this will pump oil through the seal.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M