Re: MORE About Holes in Wings

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MORE About Holes in Wings
From: Healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:42:59 EDT
I'll throw a little into this fray. I have two sets of early BN4 front
fenders (pre BN6 production) that do not have the 5/16 extra holes under the
flash. A set of early BT7's that do have the holes and a bunch of BJ series
fenders that have the holes. To be sure, two 5/16 inch holes in the fenders in
that
location will do nothing for under hood ventilation or improve air flow to
the carbs. Unlike the very large slots in BN1 and early BN2 fenders that
allowed  some escape of hot air. Those slots had their own production problems
causing  waviness in the fender directly below the slot.
Back to the holes. Because the holes are found on both left and right
fenders would lend more credence to them being there as alignment holes for
the
second pressing operation when these fenders were made. The sheet steel  is
punched on the press to the flat shape (mysterious holes punched at that
time),
then blanks put in the forming press using the holes to align  blanks in the
press.  Later edges where turned over and trimmed.  Having alignment holes /
pins in the pressing operation helps assure that  the blank ends up in the
right
place and reduces the trimming process. The  only place to hide these holes in
under the flash.  In short an attempt at  quality control.
Aloha
Perry

Check out the new British Cars Forum: