Re: MORE About Holes in Wings

To: <Healeyguy@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MORE About Holes in Wings
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:21:17 -0400
Could it not be that they went to holes because of the waviness caused when
stamping/cutting the slots? Also I am suspicious of the fact that they did not
need alignment holes when making the 100 fenders, and many of the 6 cyl series
fenders. -and that if it were a fender stamping aid, why then is it's
appearance sporadic throughout the production period? - and that the suggested
method did not enter into door, hood, rear fender, trunk lid stamping... which
seemed to work just fine. It also strikes me that jigs placed at the perimeter
of the blank would be more effective in holding the piece in place accurately
than 2 holes so close together near the center of the blank. (arguable, of
course). Further, it strikes me as a strong coincidence that this was the same
location used undeniably for venting on the previous runs of (100) fenders,
and the same area cut for rally vents. The 100's had the spear vents on both
sides, indicating a concern for overall heat in the compartment, not just on
the carb side.
I do not deny that the size of the holes would have limited their
effectiveness, but as we see in other features, that doesn't necessarily mean
that was not the intent.
I don't know for sure what they are either,   -just making a case.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA