Re: Freeze Plugs and Substitutes

To: <JJSandSMS@cs.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Freeze Plugs and Substitutes
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 08:14:13 -0700
Jeff,

The so-called "freeze plugs" are really just a vestige of the block's casting
process.
They are also called "casting plugs," which is probably more accurate, and the
fact
they pop out when an engine freezes is mostly a coincidence.

Unless you live in an extreme cold climate (you say your don't) and drive your
car in the
winter you shouldn't have to worry about these.  Just use a suitable antifreeze
mix--up to
50/50--that is appropriate for your climate (and don't leave your Healey
outside when it's
-50F  ;).

When my engine was rebuilt the shop--a race engine builder--used steel plugs
and
secured/sealed them with a high-temp epoxy.  I believe JBWeld would work well in
this application.  Come to think of it, with the plugs epoxied in they probably
won't
pop out even IF I allowed the engine to freeze.  Most Healey owners are
do-it-yourselfers
who at least do the routine stuff on their cars, which includes changing the
antifreeze
solution every couple years.  BTW, I use distilled water and my a/f fluid looks
almost
new when I change it out.  Distilled water is not electrolytic, and does not
promote
the electron transfer that is required in the oxidation-reduction reaction that
produces
rust.  It should also help extend the life of your "freeze" plugs.

I've got 60K miles or so on this engine without a problem with the plugs.  YMMV,
of course, but I suggest you just put in steel plugs and not worry about them.
 I wouldn't
trust the "removable" plugs, they are meant as a temporary fix.

There is a plug in the back of the intake manifold as well.  When mine blew out
I managed
to tap a brass plug in there with JBWeld on it and it's held for maybe 20K
miles and
numerous carb backfires.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> We cleaning a BJ8 block and have removed the freeze plugs.  New ones will be
> installed (cup type).  But are there removable expansion type plugs available
> to install at the rear of the engine.  I understand that if the rear plugs
> start to leak it is almost impossible to remove and replace them without
>removing
> the motor.  Temporary rubber type plugs are available but these are only to
> be used in an emergency.  There has to be a removable plug that is more
> permanent.  Anyone one know of these or is there a slick way of removing and
> installing a standard type rear plugs without engine removal?
>
> Also any secrets as to installing the cup type plugs so they do not leak?
> What is the best sealant to use?  Is the blue form-a-gasket type material a
>good
> application?
>
> Broader question?  Are the purpose of the plugs only to protect against
> freezing?  We live in a warm climate and it never freezes so are they needed?
> If
> not, is there a different type of plug that can be installed that is more
> permanent?  I am not thinking of doing this but are just wondering.  Do
>purpose
> built racing motors have freeze plugs?  What about Healeys that are/were
>raced?
> What is done with those plugs to prevent coolant leakage?  Is the standard
> plug up to the task?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff,
> 1964 BJ8