Re: Freeze Plugs and Substitutes

To: JJSandSMS@cs.com, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Freeze Plugs and Substitutes
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:23:43 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff -

You don't need to worry about the plugs & freezing...
the plugs are simply part of the casting process for
the block.  they won't pop out if your radiator
coolant freezes.

If you want to replace the plugs on the back with
something you can remove later without removing the
motor, you can buy adjustable brass bolt expansion
plugs.  You used to be able to get these at Napa or
Carquest, I don't know if they still sell them anymore
although I bought one from them about 10 years ago.

They are basically two cupped plugs facing each other
with a bolt and cap nut on one side, as you tighten
the cap nut it squeezes the two cups together until it
expands into place.  I used one of these to replace
the "casting" plug on the back of my intake manifold
when it blew out while driving the car.  It was so
simple to use I was able to install it without
removing the manifold (no way you can do this with a
standard tap in plug).  It hasn't come out in ten
years and I like the fact knowing I can remove it in
about 5 seconds if I want simply by undoing the cap
nut.

You can see what one looks like here:

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/stelfordsinc/Pictures/1562875.jpg

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--- JJSandSMS@cs.com wrote:

> We cleaning a BJ8 block and have removed the freeze
> plugs.  New ones will be
> installed (cup type).  But are there removable
> expansion type plugs available
> to install at the rear of the engine.  I understand
> that if the rear plugs
> start to leak it is almost impossible to remove and
> replace them without removing
> the motor.  Temporary rubber type plugs are
> available but these are only to
> be used in an emergency.  There has to be a
> removable plug that is more
> permanent.  Anyone one know of these or is there a
> slick way of removing and
> installing a standard type rear plugs without engine
> removal?
>
> Also any secrets as to installing the cup type plugs
> so they do not leak?
> What is the best sealant to use?  Is the blue
> form-a-gasket type material a good
> application?
>
> Broader question?  Are the purpose of the plugs only
> to protect against
> freezing?  We live in a warm climate and it never
> freezes so are they needed?  If
> not, is there a different type of plug that can be
> installed that is more
> permanent?  I am not thinking of doing this but are
> just wondering.  Do purpose
> built racing motors have freeze plugs?  What about
> Healeys that are/were raced?
> What is done with those plugs to prevent coolant
> leakage?  Is the standard
> plug up to the task?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff,