Steering column

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Steering column
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 03:15:28 -0400
I had been thinking about the Cape collapsible for the 100M until I learned
their upgrade has no provision for the original stator tube. Since then, I've
been thinking about fabricating a collapible column using the core from a
scapped column, cutting out enough to fit the NASCAR type collapsing unit on
this link: http://www.howeracing.com/Steering/Index-Quickener-Column.htm. If
you are thinking of the Cape option, you will not have provision for the
trafficator. The unit is very inexpensive, but probably as costly as the Cape
model once you do the fabrication. The advantage is that this unit has a
hollow center because of the the corrugated design.

It would still entail customizing an inner guts for a collapsible stator tube.
That's the challenge. Making something that will collapse reliably, but still
be torsionally resistant so the trafficator is held. Possibly a series of
telescoping tubes of alternating inner and outer diameters with slots like the
arrangement for the adjustable column stators.

Allen Miller

Check out the new British Cars Forum: