re. Re: Steering collumn

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: re. Re: Steering collumn
From: joe mulqueen <joemulqueen@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:12:35 -0700 (PDT)
Point of clarification:

If you're speaking Series type Land Rovers, injuries
can occur because the driver may hit the wheel (due to
no shoulder belts) but NOT from the wheel being being
pushed into him.  The relatively short column and box
is mounted next to the firewall/bulkhead - not out
near the front of the truck's frame.  Now there is a
drag link connecting the box to the steering idler at
front of truck, but the joints and angles are such
that they'd simply fold out of the way.
Another car that IS dangerous is the pre 1963
Corvette.  I owned a '60 and the steering column was
just as long (and straight) as the Healey.  There's
probably alot of historical data on that car....
Regards,
Joe Mulqueen
'60 BT7
'67 Land Rover SIIA