Re: Master cylinders

To: Paul Negus <Paul.Negus@iplbath.com>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Master cylinders
From: "Ronald A. Fine" <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:28:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Paul,  Since you raise the question of changing over to silicone brake fluid I
might as well ask this question.  Since I am rebuilding the entire brake system
and clutch system I could switch to silicone.  Can I rest assured that any
rubber rebuild parts, seals, etc. that I purchase now are compatible with
silicone or do I have to be careful to purchase only certain kits or from
certain suppliers?
Ron

Re the material for the master cylinders, original ones that I have seen
over the years since the late 70s have been aluminium except for the 7/8
inch bore Brake Masters used on servo assisted cars, which have been
cast iron.

I suspect that the "625" cylinder received by Alex is 5/8 inch bore (=
0.625 inch).

One other point to consider Ron - you need to replace all of your seals
at least if going to silicone brake fluid. Even if not, I would suggest
that all new brake parts would be a good way to spend those restoration
bucks!

Regards

Paul

Check out the new British Cars Forum: