Still Busy, Valve Cover Questions

To: "'healeys'" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Still Busy, Valve Cover Questions
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:20:20 -0500
Bought the Optima, and its in the car.  She fired right up.  Now to adjust
the valves...

I pulled the valve cover off and started it to see how bad the valve rocker
oil issue was.  1-8 were great, 9-12 had small fountains (a couple of
inches) so the rocker shaft rebuild is on the list.

One thing I noticed was the valve cover, directly over those rocker arms has
a plate brazed into the top, directly under the breather.  What could that
be for???

I am also concerned that there are several small dents in the top of that
brazed plate, could that be the rockers hitting the plate?  I cannot see a
spot on the rockers, but since they are hardened, I don't know if I would.

I am putting pictures up on my site on the gallery page found here...
http://www.austin-healeys.com/photos.htm

I picked up a alloy valve cover for a very good price that has a very small
spot where it has been chipped or corroded.  I am trying to decide if I can
use it.  I think I can since the gasket surface is sound, it is the side.
See pics at the above site.

I'm going back downstairs to adjust the valves.

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
'57 A-H 100-Six - http://Austin-Healeys.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: