Paint and Body -Getting it ready to send it off

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Paint and Body -Getting it ready to send it off
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:52:47 -0600
Well, what seemed like it was never going to happen, is about to happen.. I
have found someone to do the work on the Healey.  I decided that even though
I am not planning on having a 1 ft restoration done to this car, I am going
to stop trying to find another $1500 paint job for the car and have it done
right, not just a respray.  The final decision the paint is Pacific Green
over Ivory.

In a effort to save what I can, I have agreed to strip all chrome off of the
car (with the exception of the fender beads), interior (already half out),
electrical including harness, as well as the engine bay to the block (he
will pull the motor).   At the end, he should get a rolling chassis with all
body parts attached, but everything not essential stripped.  I only have a
couple weeks to accomplish this.

I need a little help with some questions I have.

* My BN4 somehow does not have the hole in the cowl for the single washer
jet (the duals aren't their either).  In case it isn't their for some reason
when he strips the paint, can someone tell me how far back from the
centerline of the hood should it be, and what size hole should be drilled?

* My dash is currently painted body color.  Am I correct that this was never
correct for a BN4 and it should be covered in the same color as the seats?

* Any good recommendations as far as taking things off as far as steps,
storage, challenges.  I will be getting the car back relatively fast.

* For the Pacific Green Paint, most of the cars I have seen have been more
Blue than Green.  The chip in the Don Pikovnik book is much Greener, as is
the car on page 50 of "Essential Austin-Healey 100 & 3000" by Mike Lawrence,
and the image on Roger Los's site.  Is the ICI code 2659 that is in
Pikovnik's book the right code for that Greener than Blue color, that is
what I want?

* Anyone have a good contract or other document that I can put together that
I can spell out exactly what I am expecting for the work.  Shop forms I have
seen in the past don't cover nut and bolt issues and I want to put as much
as possible in writing.

If you haven't guessed, I am pretty excited to finally get this done.  I
will have to work like mad over the next two weeks to get the car ready
(anyone want to help), and will probably take a week off to put it mostly
back together when I get it back.

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
'57 A-H 100-Six - http://Austin-Healeys.com