Re: rear end growl

To: "Freese, Ken" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>
Subject: Re: rear end growl
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:40:42 -0700
Hi Ken,

"growl" means different things to different folks as do most of the
other descriptions. You need to pinpoint things a bit further. I would
describe a whine as the noise that the transmission makes when it is in
first gear. A growl, I don't know. A gear noise will be constant for a
given condition & usually  described as a whine.  Does the "noise" occur
upon acceleration, steady speed, or coast, or a combination of these.  A
pinion bearing noise will be at a higher frequency than an axle related
noise, as in once per driveshaft revolution.  A wheel bearing noise will
be rythmic in sound, & at a lower frequency, as in once per wheel
revolution, sometimes described as a rumble.  With no standard
terminology, it's hard to get on the same page. Hope I haven't confused
things more.

Dave Russell
BN2