Re: rear end growl

To: healey list <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rear end growl
From: joe mulqueen <joemulqueen@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:09:35 -0800 (PST)
Hello,
My bet is on the pinion bearings.  They're smaller,
turn faster and are preloaded (their most signifant
feature).  If they're noisy, they can get surpisingly
tight and gritty feeling.  You can detect this by
disconnecting the driveshaft and turning the pinion
flange with your fingers.  The larger and not
preloaded carrier and wheel bearings last much longer.
Cheers,
Joe Mulqueen
'60 BT7
'56 MGA (with similar rear dif design and just
rebuilt)