RE: rear end growl

To: "'Freese, Ken'" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>,
Subject: RE: rear end growl
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:00:35 -0500
Hi Ken,
Rear end noises in Healeys are very unusual and I do not like to be the
bearer of bad tidings but I can tell you that I struggled with a noise in a
3.54/1 in one of my cars for some time. The initial problem was caused by a
loose pinion nut. I'm not sure if the looseness was caused by the shims
breaking up and falling out or if the loose nut caused the shims to break
up.
Anyway the net result was some damage on the crown wheel teeth. You could
hardly see the damage but no matter what I did in the way of adjusting and
shimming I could not completely eliminate the noise which was most apparent
on over run. I eventually had to put in another gear set. :-(
If you do not find an obviously rough bearing, or if there is play in the
pinion, as in it wobbles up and down, I would recommend looking for a
replacement gear set or pumpkin. It is is a 4.11 / 1 set there are plenty
around.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com