Welders

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Welders
From: Brian Burke <wharf-st@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:27:16 -0800
  I have a mig, tig and gas in my shop.  You cannot answer the question
which is better as it depends on what you want.  About 95% of all my work is
done with the gas torch as most of all my work is on the body panels.  If
you are doing panel work and are doing a but weld, in my opinion the gas is
far supperior, followed by tig, then mig.  If you are doing a cheaper
overlap weld the mig is fine, but if you try to do much hammer work the mig
weld will crack or weaken.
  When it comes to spot welds, or welds that require filler the mig would be
your best bet as it is easy and better suited to that kind of work.  It all
depends on what you want.
  Do not complain about the price of the small migs or tigs as my last tig
was $10,000 cdn and the mig was $12,500 cdn, but that is what I do.  If I
could only have one welder, it would probably be my Henrob, but do not think
that any one machine will do everything.
   Just my .02 cents worth

Brian