Re: Healey Values

To: scotyp@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Healey Values
From: John May <jdmay@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:07:34 -0500
There was a major "correction": in the US stock market in the late 80's,
around 88 or 89.  I don't remember the numbers but I remember that it
was bad and really shook confidence in the stock market.  A lot of money
went looking for someplace else to hide.  The idea of putting it into
gold, antiques, and especially appreciable classic cars really took
off.  At the time most of our local club members were approached by
brokers and speculators, new names on the scene, people who knew nothing
but the names of cars and the popular "BJ_" nomenclature.  They had no
passion or interest in the cars, were just looking to turn a quick
buck.  We had methods of screening them out, since they pretended to be
true enthusiasts.  Ferrari's that had been $50k went to $200k-$400k, and
the typical nice E-type roadster went to about $100k. Healeys, MG's etc
followed the upward spiral. I know a shop that was converting E-type
coupes to Roadsters, which was easy on the V-12 models according to what
I saw there.   When the bubble burst in the early 90's the folks who
took the worst beating were the ones with the high dollar Ferrari's and
E-Types.  It was also about 93 that Eastern Airlines went out of
business, as I remember, which compounded the bust. It was amazing how
many collector cars Eastern  pilots had, and a lot of nice cars hit the
market at bargain prices, if you had the money and space (which I
didn't).  Most of us were glad to see the return to sanity, since we
weren't planning to sell our cars anyway.
John