Re: Oli pressure and Oil viscosity

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Oli pressure and Oil viscosity
From: Jon McLeroy <jfm@spyderinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:53:29 -0600
Bill

These quotes are taken directly from the Penrite brochure:

Hypoid Oils

Mild EP -An SAE140 grade gear oil suitable for use in bevel, worm and
pre-1960 hypoid gears.  Rated GL4 this gear oil does not possess the
additive package found in later GL5 gear oils which should not be used in
veteran and vintage vehicles as the additive packages in these oils can
attack metals such as bronze, brass and copper.

Hypoid 80W/90-Suitable for most post-1960 hypoid and spiral bevel gear sets
where SAE80, SAE90 or SAE80W/90 was specified.  Meet requirements of API GL5.

There is also Hypoid 85W/140 and Limslip 85W/140.

If you would like a brochure packet please let me have your mailing address
and I'll get one in the mail.

Thanks for your interest.

Merry Christmas
Jon

At 12:51 PM 12/23/04 -0700, you wrote:
>Interesting, I wonder what the difference is between EP and Hypoid?
>
>Bill
>

>On 12/23/04 12:46 PM, "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Bill,
> > We have been over this issue many times and unfortunately your
> assumption is
> > not exactly correct.
> > The Triumph TR2 - 6 series of cars up to 1971 use the same overdrive
> unit as
> > the Healey (Laycock DeNormanville "A" type) however the specified gearbox
> > oil is EP90.
> > They also have brass (or sintered bronze) synchro rings.
> > I have somewhere a letter from Laycock DeNormanville which indicates, very
> > clearly, that the choice of lubricant for the gearbox is entirely up to the
> > gearbox manufacturer and that the overdrive unit will operate correctly
> with
> > either EP or non EP oil.
> >
> > Michael Salter
> > www.precisionsportscar.com

Classic Auto Lubes
12803 CR 1222
Tyler, Tx.  75709
Ph: 903-561-4858
Fax: 903-561-7177
Email: jfm@spyderinternet.com
www.classicautolubes.com

--
Spydernet has scanned this message for viruses and
dangerous content.