Re: Oli pressure and Oil viscosity

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Oli pressure and Oil viscosity
From: Jon McLeroy <jfm@spyderinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:06:15 -0600
At 10:43 AM 12/23/04 -0700, you wrote:
Bill

You are absolutely correct about the EP in Hypoid oils.

However the reason for non-detergent is to let any particles of metal or
trash settle out to the bottom of the case and not be circulated into the
small passages in the OD.  Detergent oils will suspend and continually stir
these around as there is no real filter in the gear box overdrive system to
collect and hold them.  Some have a magnetic drain plug to help collect
bits of metal and should be cleaned every gear box oil change.

Jon

>EP or Extreme Pressure additives are meant for gearsets having a sliding
>contact, such as hypoid gears in the final drive. EP oils should not be used
>in any assembly requiring operation of a friction component to assure proper
>operation such as synchronizer cones in a transmission or conical clutch
>brakes in an overdrive. Engine oil is the proper lubricant for these items
>per the manufacturer and I don't think the "detergent/non-detergent question
>even comes into play.
>
>Bill Lawrence

Classic Auto Lubes
12803 CR 1222
Tyler, Tx.  75709
Ph: 903-561-4858
Fax: 903-561-7177
Email: jfm@spyderinternet.com
www.classicautolubes.com

--
Spydernet has scanned this message for viruses and
dangerous content.